Friday, March 11, 2011

Irish Eyes


... are smiling




A vivacious, Russian "candy striper" caught his attention when she offered him a foot rub.  From the base of his bed she lubricated her hands, leaned forward and caressed his flat feet - stroking him from the tips of his toes, downward to his calloused balls, around his ankles, and up to the his crusty nails.

"Disgusting" I muttered
"Get me my teeth lady" ordered Dad

"Are you talking to me?" I asked
"Yes" he answered.

"This little piggy went to the market..."  she sang
"Oh Boy!" said Dad
"This little piggy stayed home..."
"HOME" repeated dad
"This little piggy ate roast beef..."
"Get me some!" yelled dad
"And this little piggy had none"....

I darted out of the room before the piggy Wee Wee'd all the way.

This is wrong on so many levels.  Regardless, this buxom blond has gotten a rise out of him.  He's not only smiling, he's wiggling his toes and barking out orders.

Later, after  his candy striper moved on to her next patient, I returned to my fathers side and asked him if he knew my name.

"Only your stage name" he replied.





11 comments:

  1. Oh JOY! Words. I know this hard but my heart is smiling for you. One more memory moment you have captured. Do you have a stage name or was your Dad getting a rise out of you?

    In my thoughts Monkey :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Shannon...so many emotions....so wonderful of you to share with us! I can't tell you how much this touches my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, so many emotions and memories. My prayers are with the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me both giggle and cry a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Only your stage name..." That's hysterical. Was he being serious or pulling your leg. This has got to be so difficult. I can't even imagine. My best to you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking exactly what Jayne wrote. That line made me smile. I don't know what else to say... So many emotions come with aging parents. So, so many. Hang in there, and keep your remarkable spirit in the forefront!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts...

    I was able to move him into a nursing home over the weekend where he is getting excellent care. How fortunate I feel to have him in such a competent, compassionate environment. He's still confused but I'm not convinced that is a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "only your stage name" Love it - what a classic line! Hoping he will continue to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He was serious about the "stage name" comment. When I tried to give him a kiss on the forehead he scolded me..... 'HEY, HEY, HEY" he said. A few seconds later he told me I'd have to wait til we got to his house but that his daughter might be there... (again, disturbing on many levels) No more kisses for Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Shanny so glad to hear that your Dad is doing much better and hope he continues to be the fighting Irishmen he is .....Amazing....and believe me ive seen many "older" patients do a complete turn around for the good..he will go when he is good and ready and.. my dear....I Dont think he is going anywhere!!! he is a fighter for sure..sending lots of happy happy thoughts your way...stay strong monkey ♥
    my thoughts and prayers always with you my friend
    much luv and lite....
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for encouraging my JOY of writing. By reading and commenting you are feeding my soul, stroking my heart, and in the end...making me a better writer.

Thank You For Encouraging My Joy of Writing

Thank You For Encouraging My Joy of Writing
greenmonkeytales@live.com

Shannon E. Kennedy

***

Photo by Joan Harrison